To perform these steps, you need administrator rights within your Canvas environment.
This is a multi-step Learning Management System (LMS) integration guide that allows you and your LMS Administrator to integrate your LMS to LabSim for SSO and Grade Return.
To start this integration, you must have a Consumer Key and Secret. You have two options:
- Tell your TestOut Account Representative that you would like LMS integration, and also provide the School's/District's LMS Administrator name and email.
- Use this online form to submit a request to begin the integration Canvas integration process: https://hs.testout.com/lms-integration-setup-or-training
Creating a Developer Key
You must first create a Developer Key within your Canvas account to use the TestOut EduApp.
Navigate to the Admin panel, to your school account, and then the Developer Keys page.
Once there click on the + Developer Key button and choose +API Key. Type in the following values for the key settings:
- Key Name (Something like TestOut will work great)
- Owner Email (Insert your email here)
- Redirect URIs (https://labsimapi.testout.com/api/v1/lmsapp/authredirect)
If your school requires you to Enforce Scopes, visit Appendix A to see what scopes the EduApp needs to be enabled.
Once created, you will notice in the Details column, that you have created an ID and a Key.
Make sure that the Developer Key State is set to On.
Please copy the entire Developer ID and press the Show Key button to display Developer Key. Copy the Developer Key as well (it is long).
Navigate to https://labsimapp.testout.com/v6_1_1621/lmssignup.html and insert the Consumer Key & Secret (given to you by a TestOut representative) and the recently created Canvas Developer ID and Developer Key. The ID & Key are securely transmitted to TestOut’s database.
Please ensure it is correct or you will experience issues while setting up the EduApp.
Click Verify and Continue
Configuring the EduApp
After you have submitted the Developer ID & Key, do the following to set up the EduApp.
The TestOut EduApp can be installed at the Organization, Sub-Account, or Class level depending on your School needs. For the purposes of our guide, we will install it at the organization level.
Please Note: If you install the EduApp on the course level, if the class is copied or duplicated, you will need to go into the new course settings and put in your Consumer Key/Secret into the External App. Further Note: We find it to be a best practice (for the avoidance of error messages and permission issues) to install the TestOut EduApp above the course level. With the EduApp installed above the course level, the instructor can go into course Settings > Navigation and enable the TestOut EduApp.
Navigate to the Admin panel and click on your organization.
Navigate to the Settings page and then to the Apps tab.
Once on the External Apps screen, type TestOut in the Filter by name field and select the TestOut EduApp.
Click +Add App.
When the Add App screen comes up, you can edit the Name of the app if you would like.
Add in your Consumer Key and Secret, given to you from your TestOut representative. Click Add App.
You will see that the app has been successfully installed at the top of the page and on the App below.
Please Note: If you have created multiple developer keys for TestOut in your production Canvas environment, please reach out to Technical Support for a couple additional steps to ensure your app will work correctly.
Creating a Class in LabSim (Recommended)
- Creating a class in LabSim happens automatically when the first member of the class clicks a link to enter LabSim.
- For your information, here is other information that is transferred to LabSim.
- The LabSim Class Name is determined by the Name field in your course settings.
Note: After you click from Canvas over to LabSim, don't rename the class, archive it, or create a duplicate of it, at least not until after your semester ends.
- If you would like to append the Course Code or SIS ID to the LabSim class name to help you distinguish between classes that might share the same name, you can add one of the below parameters to the Custom Fields box of the EduApp created in the Configuring the EduApp section.
• course_name_suffix=coursecode (This will append the Canvas Course Code to the LabSim class name)
• course_name_suffix=sisid (This will append the Canvas SIS ID to the LabSim class name)
- The LabSim Class Instructor is determined when the first instructor clicks a link to enter LabSim from within the class. Classes can only be owned by one instructor in LabSim, so if the first instructor is not the actual instructor, it will need to be changed from within LabSim (a second instructor will not override the first instructor).
- Students are added to the LabSim class when they click on the first link to enter LabSim.
Please Note: If an LMS Admin (or any other role that is not Instructor or Student) clicks a link into LabSim, the LabSim class will not be created. It is important that Instructors click at least one LabSim link before the class starts.
Automatically Creating a class and Enrolling students
Once you have links from your LMS integrated with LabSim, AS THE INSTRUCTOR:
Click one of the TestOut assignment links inside of your LMS class. When you click on the link, your class is automatically created in LabSim. Make sure to do this for each class. When you do, a class matching your LMS class's name will be automatically created in your LabSim account. As a best practice, don't rename it, archive it, or create a duplicate of it, at least until after your semester ends. DO NOT create your class manually in LabSim.
Note: It is critical that at least one initial assignment be clicked to establish integration between your LMS and LabSim account, which involves the creation of the automatic class. The End Date of each automatically created class is 12 months from the date of creation. If necessary, the End Date can be extended or shortened within LabSim by choosing Edit Class for each class and adjusting the End Date. The End Date does not expire product licenses and does not impact your ability to create additional course copies within your LMS.
INSTRUCT YOUR STUDENTS:
Click one of the TestOut assignment links inside of your LMS class. When they click the link it will automatically create the student account inside of LabSim, and enroll them in the right class (with their LabSim account being automatically created in the background, and license activated).
Note: It is critical that at least one initial assignment be clicked to establish integration between your LMS and LabSim student account. This is how the TestOut system knows that your student exists, and is important for multiple aspects of integration functionality.
- For students that already have LabSim accounts, you want to make sure that the email address associated with their account is their school email address. This way the integration will be able to find and integrate with the existing student LabSim account.
- DO NOT create your students' accounts inside LabSim through CSV, individually, or through email.
- Students DO NOT need to create their accounts through testout.com.
· For additional information from Canvas, at your discretion please reference https://community.canvaslms.com/