If your student clicks and completes every assignment link you've included in your Canvas course, the grades should automatically return to the Canvas grade book for this assignment. But to ensure that your grades are up to date, and as a best practice, you can sync grades manually within the LabSim Grade Sync Center.
Clicking the LabSim Grade Sync Center will check for grades achieved in LabSim within the LMS courses beginning and end date. Grades passed back will reflect the latest or highest grade a student has achieved on an assignment based on your configuration with your TestOut contact.
Student Grades Returning to Canvas
- When an assignment link is created using the TestOut EduApp, a corresponding column in the Canvas grade book is created.
- When a student clicks on a link and completes the assignment resource within LabSim, that score will be transferred to Canvas within 1-2 minutes.
- Be aware of the following regarding the type of scores sent back to Canvas:
- By default, the Highest Score will be passed to Canvas.
- To have the Most Recent score passed back to Canvas, please contact your TestOut representative.
- There is a one-to-one relationship between the Canvas course assighment link and the grade book column. A student must click on each link for LabSim to know where the score should be placed in the Canvas grade book (even if the resource has been completed prior inside of LabSim).
For example, on the screen below, if a student clicks on and completes lab 1.6.12 and within LabSim navigates to and completes 1.6.13 and 1.6.14 without returning to the Canvas course and clicking on those respective assignment links, only the score for 1.6.12 will come back to the Canvas grade book.
- If an instructor of a course would like to ensure that their grade book is up to date, instructors can access the TestOut EduApp and press the Sync Grades.
- Once in the LabSim Grade Sync Center, there are several options:
- By default, only Scores achieved in LabSim during the Canvas course begin and end dates will be sent to Canvas.
- To include Late Scores, select the top box (Include scores submitted after the assignment due date).
- To include scores regardless of available dates, click the bottom box (Include scores submitted outside available dates).
Note: Again, the syncing only updates scores that have obtained during the Canvas course start and end dates.
- After making your selections, click the Sync Grades button.
- This will synchronize all scores recorded in the LabSim database for all students enrolled in the instructor's Canvas course and LabSim class for which an assignment link exists in the Canvas course, regardless of if the student has clicked each or every assignment link.
- Once the sync has been submitted, you will see the request and status. You would also see a history of previous score updates. Note that the sync process can take 20-30 minutes to complete.
- The Updates column tells you how many grades have been updated.
- The Log column tells you the progress of the sync:
- Top bar=overall progress
- bottom bar=progress within the current course).
- Note: Use the Log download option if asked from TestOut LMS Tech Support.