If users run into problems with slowness or unresponsiveness using a Chromebook, try the following:
- Restart the computer, and make sure to have as few programs and browser tabs running as possible, to reserve all possible CPU power and memory for the TestOut labs.
- Disable any and all unneeded browser extensions while using LabSim.
- While using Labsim, keep the Chromebook plugged in, and not just on battery power. When running only on battery power, many laptops and notebooks limit how hard the CPU can work, further slowing the labs down.
- If possible, do the labs on a different computer that meets our recommended specifications. See this article: What-are-the-system-requirements-for-the-TestOut-software. This is especially recommended for exams with multiple lab simulations in them. This may also be the only way to bypass unexpected programming conflicts that might be encountered when working in ChromeOS.
- Students that experience freezing during exams can contact us and/or follow the advice in this article (especially point 8): Troubleshooting-Slowness-Unresponsiveness-or-Freezing-during-TestOut-Lab-Simulations-Expanded-Edition.
Other common issues and their work-arounds for Chromebook users:
Unable to use F-Keys
- Click the Settings panel in the bottom right corner of your Chromebook screen.
- In the resulting Settings menu, choose Settings. This loads your Chromebook settings into a Chrome browser window.
- Scroll down to the Device section and click Keyboard Settings. This loads the Keyboard Settings overlay.
- Check the Treat Top-Row Keys as Function Keys checkbox.
- Click OK. This disables the shortcut functionality of your Chromebook’s shortcut keys and enables their function as F-keys.
Unable to use Delete Key
You can use the Alt + Backspace keys to work as Delete. Simply hold the ‘Alt’ key and press the Backspace button, this will function as the Delete key.
Lab tasks requiring quotation marks won't pass because the marks show as two small dots
The keyboard settings are likely set to International mode. Fix it as follows:
1. Clicking on the bottom right corner of the shelf (same place that you see battery and clock info).
2. Click on the down arrow to the right of Keyboard.
3. Change it to US.