Videos and Steps to Accomplish: 4 Videos/Steps
This is a multi-step getting started path which allows you and your students to automatically be enrolled in LabSim. Please watch the video, complete the steps, and then watch the next video, and so forth. By the end of this article, you should be up and running smoothly.
Note: We can only integrate with LTI-Compliant LMS platforms. Click here to see if your LMS is LTI- Compliant
Start your LMS Integration Set up
To start your LMS integration, you must have a Consumer Key and Secret. You have two options:
- Tell your TestOut Account Representative that you would like LMS integration, and also provide the School's/District's LMS Administrator name and email.
- Use this online form to submit a Consumer Key and Secret request: https://hs.testout.com/lms-keyandsecret
Also, if you will be helping your LMS administrator to build links from your LMS to LabSim, you can go here to learn the nuts-and-bolts.
Automatically Creating a class and Enrolling students
Once you have links from your LMS integrated with LabSim, AS THE INSTRUCTOR:
Click one of the TestOut assignment links inside of your LMS class. When you click on the link, your class is automatically created in LabSim. Make sure to do this for each class. When you do, a class matching your LMS class's name will be automatically created in your LabSim account. As a best practice, don't rename it, archive it, or create a duplicate of it, at least until after your semester ends. DO NOT create your class manually in LabSim.
Note: The End Date of each automatically created class is seven (7) months from the date of creation. If necessary, the End Date can be extended or shortened within LabSim by choosing Edit Class for each class and adjusting the End Date. The End Date does not expire product licenses.
INSTRUCT YOUR STUDENTS:
Click one of the TestOut assignment links inside of your LMS class. When they click the link it will automatically create the student account inside of LabSim, enroll them in the right class (with their LabSim account being automatically created in the background, and license activated).
- For students that already have LabSim accounts, you want to make sure that the email address associated with their account is their school email address. This way the integration we will be able to find and connect with the existing student LabSim account.
- DO NOT create your students' accounts inside LabSim through CSV, individually, or through email.
- Students DO NOT need to create their accounts through www.testout.com.
Watch Video - Automatically Creating a class and Enrolling students
Steps - Automatically Creating a class and Enrolling students
- From your Learning Management System (LMS), click the link(s) that have been created for you by your LMS course design team or LMS administrators.
Note: These links are normally in a course section or class.
- From LabSim, click the Home icon.
- Click Continue to leave the LabSim learning resource and proceed Home inside LabSim.
- Click My Campus, and notice the following:
- In the Classes tab, your LMS class name will now show as a LabSim class name.
- In the Classes tab, your LabSim Product (such as TestOut PC Pro v 6.0) will already be associated to the LabSim class.
- In the Students tab, the name of your student(s) will automatically appear IF they have clicked over from your LMS to LabSim.
- Click your Profile Name in the Upper Right (such as Sunny Day), and select My Profile. Notice the following:
- The First and Last Name were brought over from your LMS profile when you clicked the link.
- The email was also brought over from your LMS profile when you clicked the link.
- The associated products were also activated when you clicked the link.
- Your account was automatically associated to the correct school inside of LabSim.
- Click the X in the Profile dialog.
Watch Video - Returning Grades to the LMS
Steps - Returning Grades to the LMS
These steps apply to the students' actions.
- For each assignment/link in your LMS, the student should click the link over to LabSim.
- The student will then complete the learning resource, such as:
- Lab Simulation
- Section Exam
- Custom Exam
- TestOut Pro Certification
- The score is automatically sent to your LMS depending on whether your LMS course design team or LMS administrators have used LTI or a plugin.
- If using LTI, your students will see and click the Submit Score button to send the score back to your LMS.
- If using a plugin, the score is automatically sent back to your LMS.
- Close the LabSim browser tab.
Note: As a matter of best practice, the student SHOULD ALWAYS close LabSim after completing their resource and/or clicking the Submit Score Button.
- The student will repeat Steps 1 through 4 for every assignment/link in your LMS.
Instruct your students that in order for TestOut scores to transfer back to your LMS automatically they must launch the corresponding LMS link for each graded TestOut assignment.
- Launching an assignment link in your LMS tells TestOut to send over the score for that assignment. When they first do it, it sends over the first score they receive.
- If the student doesn't like the first score and immediately does the assignment again without returning to your LMS, that newer or better score will not come back to your LMS unless the student returns to your LMS to launch the link to that assignment again.
- New or updated scores can be returned to your LMS retroactively in this way. 1 link launched = 1 score sent back.
- Depending on your school's configuration, launching an assignment link from your LMS for an already completed item may return either the newest score or the highest score.
Watch Video - Troubleshooting Returning Grades Tip #1
Steps - Troubleshooting Returning Grades Tip #1
Some students do not close LabSim after completing a learning resource, and they continue to the next learning resource in the course. These steps apply to the students' actions.
- For each assignment/link in your LMS, the student should ALWAYS click the link over to LabSim.
- If the student has already completed the learning resource, the grade is sent back to the LMS when the student clicks the link and/or they click the Submit Score button.
- If the student has not completed the learning resource, then the should complete the learning resource.
- After completing their resource and/or clicking the Submit Score Button, the student should close LabSim.
- The student will repeat Steps 1 through 2 for every assignment/link in your LMS.
Watch Video - Troubleshooting Returning Grades Tip #2
Steps - Troubleshooting Returning Grades Tip #2
Some students have two accounts by accident.
- In all cases, the student should have a Single Sign-On account when they clicked on the LMS link(s) over to LabSim.
- In some cases, a student has created a non-LMS account by going to TestOut.com, and then proceeding through the account creation process.
To merge an account, the student should perform the following steps:
- From your Learning Management System (LMS), click the link(s) over to LabSim.
- Click the Profile Name in the Upper Right (such as Sunny Day), and select My Profile.
- Click Merge Accounts.
- Type in the username and password from the non-LMS account.
- Click Merge Accounts button.
- Click the X in the Profile dialog.